Requirements for Cross-Border Canadian Vehicle Transport
The first step in preparing your car for shipping and transport is to make sure that you’re aware of the requirements for cross-border Canadian vehicle transport. In order to ship your car across the border, you’ll need:
- Copy of Vehicle Ownership (Scanned)
- Copy of Passport (Scanned)
- Interlane Agreement of Terms & Conditions signed and dated
- Certificate of Personal Ownership
- Short Form Power of Attorney, signed and dated.
- Completed Pickup and Delivery Form
- Completed Credit Card Authorization Form
- Not more than 2 average sized suitcases in the trunk of your vehicle
- Not more than ¼ tank of fuel in the vehicle
If you’re shipping your car to Canada from the United States, you’ll also need to obtain a temporary import permit from the Canadian government. This permit will allow you to bring your car into the country for a temporary period of time, and it must be obtained before your car is shipped.
Preparing Your Car for Transport
Once you’ve gathered all of the required documents, you’ll need to take some time to prepare your car for transport. This includes:
- Cleaning your car inside and out: Transporting your car across the border is a dirty business, and you don’t want to start your new life in Canada with a filthy car. Be sure to give your car a good wash and vacuuming before it’s loaded onto the transport truck.
- Checking your fluid levels: It’s always a good idea to check your oil, coolant, and other fluids before you ship your car. This will help ensure that your car doesn’t overheat or break down during transport.
- Removing all personal items: Any items that are left in your car during transport are at risk of being lost or stolen. Be sure to remove all personal belongings from your car before it’s loaded onto the truck.
- Making a list of any existing damage: It’s important to document any existing damage to your car before it’s shipped. This will help ensure that you’re not held responsible for any new damage that occurs during transport.
Shipping Your Car Across the Border
Once you’ve taken care of the preparation, you’re ready to ship your car across the border. There are a few different options available for cross-border Canadian vehicle transport, and the best option for you will depend on your specific needs and budget.
The most popular option for cross-border transport is to use a professional shipping company. There are many companies that specialize in shipping cars across borders, and they can provide door-to-door service to make the process as easy as possible.
If you’re on a tight budget, you may want to consider shipping your car via train. This option is typically more affordable than using a professional shipping company, but it can be less convenient as you’ll need to drop your car off at the train station and pick it up at the other end.
Need Help Shipping Your Car Across the Border?
If you’re not sure how to prepare your car for transport, or you’re having trouble finding a reputable logistics company, Interlane Logistics can help. We specialize in cross-border Canadian vehicle transport, and we offer door-to-door Snowbird service to make the process as easy as possible. Contact us today to get started.